PLEASE REMEMBER THAT WE ARE A NUT FREE SCHOOL.
Packed lunches should not contain any products containing nuts (peanut butter, Nutella or similar nut based chocolate spreads, nut based cereal bars etc.)
Q – My child isn’t allergic to nuts, why can’t they bring in nuts?
A – There are people in school with nut allergies, reactions can occur if they inhale allergen particles in the air, or if they come into contact with a contaminated item (for example, drinking from someone else’s cup).
Q – What happens if someone has an allergic reaction (anaphylaxsis)?
A – The symptoms of a food allergy may include a rash anywhere on the body, or a tingling or itchy feeling in the mouth.
More serious symptoms may include: Swelling in the face, throat and/or mouth, difficulty breathing, severe asthma, abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting.
In extreme cases there could be a dramatic fall in blood pressure (anaphylactic shock). The person may become weak and floppy and may have a sense of something terrible happening. This may lead to collapse and unconsciousness. On rare occasions, death can occur.
Information about severe allergies can be found at: https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk